The Verdict is In: My (1st) Experience as a Trial Juror

If I’ve been incognito this week, my apologies. I was called for jury duty and, somewhat to my surprise, actually chosen to serve. I’ve had a couple of close calls over the years, but this was a first. It turned out to be a fascinating experience, one that gave me a rare opportunity to play a key role in the American judicial system. I enjoyed it far more than anticipated. I thought I’d share my story through the eyes of a first-timer, for those who are interested in learning what it’s like to spend three days in a jury box.

The Jury Summons

Like the majority of Americans, when I received my jury summons in the mail, I felt my stomach turn with dread. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say most people aren’t exactly eager to receive that piece of paper in the mail. Even the judge acknowledged this. My first instinct was to try to figure out how to get out of serving, and I turned to the internet for suggestions. As usual, Reddit was a great source of information, though the advice people had posted (pretend you never received the summons and ignore it, show up wearing a JURY NULLIFICATION t-shirt, act like a racist, etc.) just didn’t sit well with me. Honesty is, and always will be, the best policy. I decided to show up as instructed and answer all questions honestly while hoping I wouldn’t be one of the 12 people ultimately selected.

I had no legitimate excuse not to attend, anyway. Yes, it’s stressful to be away from the office for days on end, especially when you work for a publishing company and there are deadlines. But my supervisor was completely understanding and encouraged me to “have fun.” Fat chance, I thought. I was still grumbling over the inconvenience of it all as I headed out the door that first day.

Voir Dire

I was instructed to show up at the Federal courthouse in Rapid City Tuesday morning at 8:00 a.m. After passing through a metal detector—the process reminded me of the TSA experience, only I got to keep my shoes on this time—I made my way to the third floor, checked in with the clerk’s office, and took a seat on a hard wooden bench in the courtroom.

First impression: the courtroom was enormous. Federal courts are much larger than state courts, it turns out. It was also very bright, with rows of overhead fluorescent lights. I’d brought along a book and read a little of it while stealing glances at the other prospective jurors as they filed in, wondering which of the poor suckers would end up being selected. There were 42 of us and they were choosing 12 jurors and an alternate, which meant I had about a 70 percent chance of walking out of there a free man. I liked those odds.

The clerk came in and showed us a 20-minute video titled “Serving on a Jury” narrated by Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts. Typical propaganda, I thought. Afterward, the judge and lawyers entered the courtroom. His Honor talked a little bit about what to expect. One of the things he said was, “The people who are chosen today are actually the lucky ones.” Per the jury summons, we were on call for a two-month period. The clerk said the court docket for February and March was pretty full, which meant that many—if not most—of the people not chosen that day could expect to end up back in that very courtroom to go through the process all over again at some point before March 31. Around this time, my attitude began to change. I figured, this was expected to be a three-day trial. There was no guarantee the next one would be as short. Plus, the atmosphere felt charged-up, almost electric with anticipation. Maybe being chosen wouldn’t be so bad after all, I thought.

The clerk called names at random to fill the 31 seats in front of the bench: the jury box plus two makeshift rows. I was about the 23rd person called. The 11 not initially called were instructed to remain in the courtroom, as some would likely be needed as people were excused. Sure enough, this happened.

Voir dire is the legal phrase for the jury selection process. It was a little bit intimidating, but also, very interesting. Both attorneys asked questions of everybody, and we had to pass around microphones when answering. I found myself trying to figure out the intent behind each question in order to determine what the lawyers were looking for. Some questions were pretty obvious, while the intent of others is only clear now that the trial is over. I was asked, for example, whether I’d ever bought a house, and if so, did I buy the first house I looked at. If I had children, did I ever have to mediate an argument between them, and whether the child I assumed had been the victim had actually turned out to be the instigator. Whether I thought a witness who appeared nervous while testifying might be hiding something. When I answered honestly that it could lead me to perceive guilt, I was asked whether I was nervous answering questions in court and had to admit that I was.

Touché. Message received.

Let me make one thing clear here: anybody who truly wanted to get out of jury service at this point could have done so very easily. The judge, who exuded fairness at all turns, made it clear that if you had a prior commitment or were morally opposed to the jury system or were simply uncomfortable being given the burden of deciding another person’s fate could speak up and he would excuse them without prejudice. Nobody did so, though a couple of people had legitimate health concerns and were dismissed.

I will say, it was pretty obvious to me who would not be chosen. There were a few pretty vocal people who you just knew would cause trouble in the jury room. There was also a 78-year-old woman with concentration difficulties and a 19-year-old college student who had never heard the phrase “reasonable doubt” before.

We were excused for lunch at 12:00 and asked to return at 1:30, at which time, the jury would be seated.

I went home, called Tara, and said I kind of hoped they would choose me. Quite a change in attitude from just a few hours earlier.

The Trial

I returned to the courthouse as instructed, and the lawyers were tasked with eliminating 18 of the 31 people in order to arrive at their jury. We were told their decisions weren’t personal and we shouldn’t feel badly if we weren’t selected. They then passed a sheet back and forth for about 15 minutes, deciding on peremptory challenges, which allow them to strike potential jurors without reason. Of course, there are reasons on both sides, though I’m sure those vary based on any number of circumstances.

They began calling names and asking those people to stand. I had just started to think I wasn’t going to be selected, and actually felt a pang of remorse about this, when they called my name. I was about the ninth person chosen. It appears that the people selected for jury duty were mostly those who had flown under the radar, hadn’t rocked the boat, and were neither young nor old. There were seven men and six women. All white, but this being South Dakota, that’s not exactly surprising.

Everybody else was excused and we were sworn in. The judge gave us instructions, we were shown the jury room, led back to the jury box, and the trial started immediately. It took about 15 minutes for me to get over my disbelief. It felt very surreal to be seated on a jury hearing a federal case…one that turned out to be very exciting.


I am allowed to talk about the case now that the verdict has been delivered, but at the time, we were instructed not to discuss it with anybody, including family members, coworkers, and the other jurors. I won’t go into a lot of detail, but it was a criminal case in which the defendant was charged with five counts involving possession of guns and distribution of methamphetamine. Over the course of a day and a half, the prosecution called 10 witnesses, ranging from the arresting officers to drug analysis experts; an agent with the Bureau of Indian Affairs’ Alcohol, Tobocco, and Firearms Agency; a cellphone data extraction specialist; and a shackled inmate transported by a Federal Marshal. We watched body cam and dashboard videos from tribal police officers and I learned more than I ever imagined I would about Glock 9 mm semi-automatic handguns. These firearms made it a federal case; Glocks are manufactured in Austria and shipped to Smyrna, Georgia; the only way they can possibly reach South Dakota is by crossing state lines. The defense offered up plenty of rebuttals and cross-examination, but didn’t call any witnesses. We never even heard the defendant speak, except briefly on video during the police search.

The judge has a rule in which everybody in his courtroom stands up and stretches every 45 minutes. I cannot stress how much I liked him. He was personable and polite, the epitome of fairness. Judges sometimes come across as stern and intimidating, but he was anything but. He treated us with respect at all times, stating that in his courtroom, people don’t just rise when he enters the room, they also stand for the jurors. Sure enough, they did so every time we entered and exited. He also made occasional lighthearted comments throughout the trial, and even joked at one point that he had an extra robe if his clerk wanted to play judge. All of this served to humanize him. At the same time, when somebody stepped out of line, he was quick to admonish them and keep order in the court. This only happened once or twice.

We were given frequent breaks, including 90 minutes for lunch, and released both days a few minutes before 5:00. I was home, sipping a glass of wine 15 minutes after listening to testimony in a federal criminal case. This made the whole experience palatable.

On Wednesday afternoon, the prosecution and defense rested.

The Deliberation

Thursday morning, both attorneys gave their closing arguments. The prosecutor went first, speaking for about 25 minutes. He went over each count against the defendant, explaining how the burden of proof had been met by the government, as required. The defense attorney was up next; he spoke for about 15 minutes, followed by a 10-minute rebuttal from the prosecution. After that, the alternate juror was dismissed. Sucks to be her; I’d hate to get that far without being able to see the whole thing through. The case was officially handed over to we, the jury. It was almost an emotional moment for me. I felt in awe of my own responsibility as we adjourned to the jury room for deliberation.

Our cellphones were confiscated, the door was closed, and we elected a foreman. Then we discussed each count in detail and took votes by raising our hands. This, at least, was pretty much like you’d see in any John Grisham book or legal thriller. Pizza was brought in for lunch as we talked our way through the case.

The evidence was also brought into the courtroom (minus the bullets, wisely). It isn’t every day that you can say you held a Glock semi-automatic handgun, a bag of meth, and $2,500 cash in your hands, but today I did just that.

For me, the decision was easy. I was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt as to the defendant’s guilt on all five charges. We were unanimous on three of the five counts pretty much right off the bat, but really had to discuss and (politely) argue a little bit about factors like possession, intent, consistency of testimony, and character before everybody was on the same page on the other two. We could have found him guilty on some of the charges and not guilty on others, but in the end, we came to a unanimous decision across the board: guilty on all five counts.

I was nervous when we filed back into the courtroom and the judge read our verdicts. I’m not sure why; maybe I was expecting some last-minute courtroom dramatics, perhaps an angry outburst from the defendant or somebody in the audience, but none of those things occurred.

A few minutes later, the judge came into the jury room to chat with us and answer questions. Again, this is testament to his personability. He speaks to every jury after every trial to gain their feedback, explaining that he is appointed for life and will never do anything else, so he wants to make sure he gets it right. Somebody asked whether he thought we’d made the right decision, and he assured us that, based on the evidence, we had.

Sentencing takes place in 4-5 months. The judge said anybody interested in attending could let the clerk’s office know on our way out, so I did just that. I think I was the only one, actually. Call me a completist, but I really want to see this through and am curious what sentence the defendant ends up receiving. I know it will be significant given some of the mandatory sentencing guidelines that must run consecutively.

Final Thoughts

Yes, this is a very long post. I’m almost done—I promise!

This whole experience was nothing short of incredible. It may be a cliche, but serving on a jury is a rare opportunity to not only witness democracy in action, but to play an active role in the process. I’ve never been the type to wear my patriotism on my sleeve, but it really is a privilege to serve and makes me proud to be an American. Just witnessing the dynamic between opposing lawyers, hearing from expert witnesses, and learning how to dissect and apply law is exhilarating.

I’m off the hook now for two years and won’t be called for jury duty again in that time, but should I receive a summons in the mail at some future point, I won’t be nearly so opposed.

Doing your civic duty kinda rocks!


26 thoughts on “The Verdict is In: My (1st) Experience as a Trial Juror

  1. I get called to serve every two years and am always seated on a jury. I am the only person I know that this happens to, despite the fact that a good chunk of my family are lawyers and I always tell the judge that I’m less likely to believe cops than civilians. (You would, too, if you lived next door to the LAPD and listened to them talk and watched them break the law on a regular basis.)

    Now I’m just resigned to my fate and accept that I will be jury foreperson forever. Got called again last week, actually.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Jealous!!! I’ve been called for Jury Duty so many times but I have never made it through the election process. Nowadays we in L.A. just have to call a phone number every day for a week to see if we’re needed, but when I first got called we got to go there and sit around all day long. I actually loved it because a. I didn’t have to go to work but still got paid b. I got to read all day and be paid to do so c. I found it all very exciting, especially when we were sent to a jury room to see if we would be selected or not and d. I loved going to the snack bar and cafeteria. LOL

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I thought I would have more time to read, but once the process got going it never really slowed down. We didn’t have a snack bar or cafeteria, just a small fridge and a few snacks in the jury room. We actually weren’t allowed anywhere else in the building except when coming or going, and then we were escorted. They didn’t want us running into anybody else – lawyers, witnesses, etc.

      Liked by 1 person

  3. we were on call for a two-month period

    For real? We are asked to set aside one week of our time for jury duty. I cannot fathom being left in limbo for two months. That being said, I found your summary of your experiences enlightening. I’ve never been picked to be a juror so this is a glimpse into how its goes.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Honestly, that would have driven me crazy, too. It’s one reason why I was glad to be picked! My biggest fear was ending up on a trial that would last a long time, too. I don’t mind missing a few days of work, but a couple of weeks would be a real hardship.

      Liked by 1 person

  4. Wow! My dad served on a federal case in the ’60’s, but that’s the only person I’ve known to do so until you. Thank you for the detailed report, as it was different than my Common Pleas experiences. How long was the deliberation and how did you feel about the other jurors?

    Lol on the 19 YO kid!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Deliberation took 3.5 hours. Afterward, somebody asked the judge if that seemed quick, and he said it was about average for this type of case. I liked the other jurors—there wasn’t anybody that annoyed me, I’ll put it that way!


  5. WOW…that’s awesome, Mark! Happy to read that you enjoyed the experience and that it only last two days. My concern about jury duty is having to serve for a long period of time (like weeks).

    You know, in the back of my mind, I always had a secret desire to become a lawyer for some odd reason. And it’s funny because when I was still acting in the theater, I was cast in two plays that took place in a courtroom and I LOVED it! Oh the DRAMA! LOL!

    Yes, and don’t you love how that when you’re called to serve jury duty, you’re off the hook for two years?

    Liked by 1 person

    1. That was my concern, too. My supervisor ended up serving on a trial that lasted 2.5 weeks…and you hear of people who have to go even longer. Three days was nothing in comparison, and yes, I am happy that I don’t have to worry about being called until 2022 now!


  6. This was fascinating to read – thank you so much for posting it. I’ve never been summoned and I’ve always wondered what it would be like. One caveat: I cherish my summers off (I’m a teacher) and I always worry that I’d be called to jury duty during the summer. I figure my “I don’t wanna because it’s summertime and I want to be outside and just doing my own thing for three months” won’t get me off the hook. Hopefully I’ll get summoned in September: my least favorite month of the year. By the way, do you get a stipend or some form of compensation?

    Liked by 1 person

    1. We are paid $50 a day plus mileage. They figure 8 miles to the courtroom, which is actually slightly more than my commute, but I wasn’t going to argue. Unfortunately, it takes a few weeks for the checks to show up…but that’ll be a nice little bonus when it arrives in the mail at the end of the month!

      Liked by 1 person

  7. I’ve been summoned three times but never served. A couple of the times they settled out of court before selection, the third it was from a pool of 150 so odds of being selected weren’t that great.

    Liked by 1 person

  8. A fascinating post, Mark. Interesting point on the concept of being nervous. I have only briefly seen/heard about jury selection and you describe a fair process for selection. It sounds like you had an amazing judge/person. Not a hardship. Like you say, Mark, “in awe of my own responsibility.” I hear how Canada has a similar process. My verdict: A great post!

    Liked by 1 person

  9. Finally read this one. What a neat experience! Getting to hold a bag of meth was my favorite part, though there were loads of likable parts. Still, how many people can say they’ve held a bag of meth?! Awesomeness. Kudos to the cool judge, too.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s